Since 2011 the Union of Advanced Technology Enterprises (UATE) undertakes to establish the Armath Engineering Laboratories educational program. UATE has started the process of exporting the Armenian model of technology education all over the world.
In 2023, 641 engineering laboratories operate on the territory of Armenia, Artsakh, Georgia, Kuwait, France, USA, Bangladesh and India. Around 17200 students get free engineering education.
At Armath Engineering Laboratories kids aged 10-18 are introduced to science, technology, engineering, and math education through interactive after-school classes, exciting competitions, innovative camps and more.
Our young engineers are given the opportunity to design, build, test, and improve their own creations in a safe and fun environment while making new friends and creating startups.
Armath Engineering Laboratories program already shows great results. At 2022 according to "Grant Thornton Consulting" CJSC assessment
- 45% of Armath students were admitted to the regional University
- 3% of Armath students were admitted to the international University
- 11% were working in IT sector
- 1% of employed students have founded startups
- the salaries of employed or start-up founded students were between AMD 50,000 and 200,000, averaging AMD 99,529.
Taking into consideration that the sphere of advanced technology is one of the driving forces of the world economy and the fact that the need for a workforce skilled in science, technology, engineering, and math subjects is exponentially rising, Armath Engineering Laboratories strive to play a significant role in supporting the global growth tendencies by teaching children as young as aged 10 how exciting and fun STEM can be.
We are excited to share our experience and skills with the global tech community.
Important outcomes of the program
- Stimulation of technological education in Armenia
- Regional development since the program involves the whole territory of the country
- Development of entrepreneurial culture
- Boost of economic activity in the high-tech and related spheres
- Creation and strengthening of the bond between the school system, labor market, and the universities
- Improvements in the demographic situation of borderline communities of Armenia
- Establishment of a connection between technology companies and the education system
- A new generation of leaders and entrepreneurs
Strengthening technical education, this program will enhance Armenia’s reputation on the international landscape as being a knowledge-based country.
- "Sustainable Growth" nomination at WITSA Global Excellence Award
- "The best provider of IT education" award in GITI-2016 regional event in Tbilisi
- Nokia Award at The Eurasian Week International Forum 2018 in Yerevan
Technical equipment and programs
Education programs of Armath engineering laboratories are based on advanced learning methodologies and tools, a leading research and education institution in the fields of physical sciences and engineering. These programs start with basic programming and take pupils from robotics to production in an environment of exploration and creativity.
The package incorporates several components: Armath Linux operational system, 3D Printer, Computer Controlled CNC devices, SERob Robot Kit, Mini-computers Aygestan, Aghues, Kria
Armath Linux operational system
Armath PI is based on the Linux/Debian Raspbian-stretch operational system. This operational system was created for Armath engineering laboratories by the consortium of Companies - Nairi. The interface of the operational system, as well as the software packages are in Armenian language and adapted for Armenian kids
Digital modeling allows you to create three-dimensional models of any objects and details. Students can print objects and parts that they have modeled using a 3D printer, allowing them to create and assemble new 3D printers, print cases for mini computers, as well as other devices and items.
Computer Controlled CNC devices
It carvings on wood, lanterns, ABS, and other materials based on pre-modeled text, object, detail, etc. This machine allows students to have experience in engineering and modeling, and to be able to create items and details, which are used in the manufacturing process.
SERob Robot Kit
This Robotics kit allows:
- to learn and teach the basic principles of robotics
- to make automatization of processes
- to plan and solve various engineering problems
- to organize national and international competitions, as well as to participate in international robotics events
The computers that are packaged in Armenia are compact, lightweight and universal, can be connected to Internet (LAN, Wi-Fi). They are using for learning Aghues/Scratch, K-turtle/Kriay and other computer programming languages. After programming the mini computers can also be controler of robots.
Aghves is a visual programming environment and a toolkit, that lets kids make games, animated stories, interactive art, as well as share their creations with others on the Net. It is enhanced with modules that support sensors, motors, and robots board. The underlying program is an adaptation of the Scratch environment, developed by MIT.
Kria is an adaptation of MIT's Kturtle, an educational programming environment Kria is suitable for teaching kids the basics of maths, geometry and programming. One of the main features of Kria is the ability to translate commands into the standard markup language(HTML), but the result can be saved as a vector or transparency image(SVG, PNG).
Action plan of the project
The project consists of 5 phases
I stage - Selection of the venue and the coach
II stage - Training of coaches
III stage - Armath lab installation
IV stage - The monitoring and consulting
V stage - Participation of Armath students in contests, expos and camps
Selection of the venue and the coach
For the establishment of engineering laboratory the first necessary step is the visit of the venue of the future laboratory, to evaluate the technical and human potential, to meet the management of the school /educational center/ and potential coaches. During the visit the best candidate for the coach functions will be selected.
Training of coaches
To qualify for participation in the program the coaches will be trained to a prescribed curriculum. The total duration of training will be 4 phases, each phase lasting 4-5 days, during a period of 6-7 months. During the trainings the coach will learn Aghues and Kria computer programming environments will get the skills of working with Robotics Kit, 3D modeling and printing, as well as skills for activities with CNC machine.
Armath lab installation
During this stage installation and adjustment of equipment and software of laboratory is carried out. Here at Armath, we pay huge importance to the concept of the inverted classroom. The arrangement of the classroom is organised to promote teamwork among the students of the laboratory. During this stage, the project is presented to school children as well.
Here you can see the main format of the Armath Engineering Laboratory installation process and space arrangement.
Participation of Armath students in contests, expos and camps
Many events are organized in the framework of the program
- "DigiCode" Applied Programming Youth Contest
- Line Follower Robots Contest
- Item Finding, Transfering and Sorting Robots Contest
- Minesweeping Robots Contest
- Maze Solving Robots Contest
- 3D Modeling Contest
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Contest
- DigiTec Expo
- Educational Expos and other
- "Armath Technology Camp" for 10-170years-old children
- "DigiCamp Innovation Camp" for 15-17-years-old children